If you’re thinking about correcting your smile in Tysons Corner, Vienna, or Mclean, you may be wondering if cosmetic dentistry is the right option. Can cosmetic dentistry be used to treat certain oral health issues, or is it only for aesthetic problems with your smile’s appearance? Find out in this blog from the office of Priti Naik, DDS.
Cosmetic Dentistry Can Treat Some Oral Health Issues
While you may think that cosmetic dentistry is only meant for treating problems with the appearance of your teeth, this isn’t completely true. There are some oral health issues that can be treated with cosmetic dentistry.
- Minor teeth chipping – Minor chips in the enamel can often be repaired with a cosmetic treatment such as dental bonding or a veneer, restoring the shape, function, and appearance of the affected tooth.
- Misshapen teeth – If your teeth are misshapen or uneven, this can cause issues with your bite and cause premature wear & tear. In some cases, a veneer or dental bonding may be appropriate for restoring a tooth that’s uneven or misshapen.
- Slightly crooked teeth – Veneers are commonly used to correct minor alignment problems with your teeth. Not only does this make your smile look better, but it can also make it easier to brush and floss, since your teeth will be straighter and you will have more even gaps between each one.
Cosmetic Dentistry Can’t Be Used To Treat Major Oral Health Issues
Despite being useful to treat certain oral health issues, cosmetic dentistry is not intended as a way to restore your smile and treat major dental problems as:
- Teeth damaged by trauma or decay – Restorative dentistry treatments such as crowns, fillings, or root canals may be necessary to repair a tooth that has been seriously damaged by an untreated cavity or an oral injury.
- Gum disease – Gum disease is a serious oral health issue that must be resolved with proper periodontal care before cosmetic dentistry treatment can begin. If your gums are not healthy, this can disqualify you from cosmetic care.
- Major orthodontic problems – If you have major gaps in your smile, seriously crooked teeth, or problems with your jaws and bite, you may need orthodontic treatment with Invisalign or braces before you can get cosmetic dental treatment.
Dr. Priti Naik Can Develop A Customized Smile Makeover Plan For You!
Even if you have major dental problems like cavities and gum disease, Dr. Priti Naik can help you restore your smile. By combining restorative treatments, gum care, orthodontics and cosmetic dentistry in a smile makeover plan, Dr. Naik can ensure you get the healthy, beautiful smile you’ve always wanted.
Restore Your Smile At The Office Of Priti Naik, DDS
Whether you have minor cosmetic dental issues like gaps in your teeth, stains, and uneven teeth, or you have major oral health problems, Dr. Naik is here for you. Contact us online or give us a call at (703) 288-1800 to schedule a smile makeover consultation, and take the first step toward the smile you deserve.