If you are interested in replacing one or more missing teeth and you are considering your options, Dr. Priti Naik offers both dental bridges and dental implants to meet the needs of every patient. Both of these treatments are a great way to restore your smile, but they each have their own unique benefits.
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you consider these restorative treatments from Dr. Priti Naik in Tysons Corner, Vienna and Mclean:
The Benefits Of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges consist of two crowns, which are placed on healthy “abutment” teeth. Between these crowns, a false tooth (also called a pontic) is supported, usually by metal bridgework. The pontic literally bridges the gap between your teeth and replaces your missing tooth. Here are some of the benefits of dental bridges:
- Typically covered (at least partially) by dental insurance – Your benefits will vary based on your insurance plan. However, most dental insurance plans will pay for at least part of the cost of a dental bridge, which may not the case with dental implants.
- Minimally-invasive – Unlike a dental implant, a dental bridge does not require any incisions into your gums. Some trimming of your teeth is required to place the crowns, but there is no need for invasive dental surgery.
- Long-lasting results – With proper care, your bridge can easily last 15+ years. This allows you to keep smiling with confidence for years to come.
- Will not move or shift in the mouth – Unlike a partial denture, which is not permanently cemented into place, dental bridges will not move or shift, making them more comfortable.
- Prevents uneven tooth wear – A dental bridge helps spread out your bite force correctly and prevents uneven tooth wear, which is a common problem among dental patients who are missing one or more teeth.
The Benefits Of Dental Implants
Dental implants consist of two parts. The implant itself is a small, screw-shaped piece of titanium, which is surgically implanted into your gum to function as an artificial tooth root. The second part is an implant-supported restoration, such as a dental crown, that is bonded and attached to the implant permanently.
- Supports and protects jaw health – Unlike both dental bridges and partial dentures, dental implants stimulate and protect the health of your jaw, preventing bone resorption and ensuring your jaw remains strong even after you’ve lost a tooth.
- Lasts 30+ years with proper care – Most patients keep their dental implants for the rest of their lives. They are very durable and can easily last 30+ years with proper care.
- Incredibly easy to clean – To care for a dental implant, all you have to do is brush and floss your teeth normally, and see Dr. Priti Naik for six-month oral exams and cleanings.
- Looks and feels completely natural – Teeth restored with dental implants are made to look and feel natural, and are indistinguishable from real teeth.
- Can be used to restore your entire mouth – Multiple dental implants can be used to support a set of implant-supported dentures or permanent bridges like All-On-Four, restoring your entire mouth.
Want To Learn More? Schedule A Consultation!
Not sure if a dental bridge or an implant is right for you? To discuss your options with an expert who will offer honest advice, schedule a consultation with Dr. Priti Naik. At your appointment, Dr. Naik will discuss all of your options for restorative dentistry and help you choose the treatment that’s best for you. If you’re ready to get started, give us a call at (703) 288-1800, or stop at our office at 8230 Boone Blvd, #320, Vienna, VA 22182.